Wednesday, August 13, 2014

308 - Gamera vs. Gaos

First Broadcast - 10 am Saturday, July 27 1991


Amazing Colossal Grade: Little known fact, Glenn is friend to all children too, not so much after the skeletal exposing facial scars, and that unfortunate incident with the school bus, still...
Movie Pain: Low - A childhood favorite
Riffing: Good - Wildly funny when Itchy's around
Skits: Induced mostly smiles


A pseudo-precocious lad in shorts, marshals Japan's military forces and leads them (with a little help from Gamera) to a victory over Gaos: Another KTMA episode revisited. The "Mooing Grandpa" riff is recycled (though modified from what was said in show K06) and is still funny, but the best parts of this version are the scenes where the prerequisite "know-it-all" kid is on camera.

The gang calls him Itchy, and while he is a lot smarter and less crazy than Kenny; he's no less annoying and inspires some killer laughs (J&TB have the kid giving orders to the adults, which isn't far from the truth). When Itch is off-screen though, the humor level drops a bit.

While the Mads experiment is amusing (Self Image Printers), most of the skits are odd goofs that are not so hot, but give up a chuckle or two (Joel has first-hand knowledge that Mucilage does not taste like sweet honey).

Host Segments
Intro: The Bots imitate raspy voiced celebrities. Invention: The Mads demonstrate their Self Image Printer. Joel combines the Fax machine with tissue paper. Segment 1: Joel shows how to make Gaos. Segment 2: The Gameradammerung. Segment 3: Joel's spinning turtles. End: Different ways to snuff Gaos. Stinger: Two guys startled and scared.



Notable Riffs
"Oh no, it's the cast of Head Injury Playhouse" - Crow
"Do you want to go faster? Raise your hand if you want to go faster" - Joel
"I'd like to see a scoop too." - "But I'm retaining water." - Itchy/Crow
"I'm only six! who do you think I am, Carl Sagan?" - Crow as Itchy
"Excuse me, I've just gotta mate with a Tilt-a-Whirl, here..." - Crow as Gamera
"Face it -- he likes blood, but not the way you make it." - Crow
"Grandad's already disturbed." - Crow
"Hey! Could you get the subplot off the road, please?!" - Crow (as truck driver)
"I do I do I do I do believe in Gaos!" -Joel as Itchy
"I don't know where my friend went, but -- there's a pile of poop here with shoes in it!" - Servo as Itchy
"I'm actually a tiny time pill you realize." - Joel as Itchy
"Mom, if the UN calls, I'm playing with my slot cars." - Joel as Itchy
"Oh. Flying hell beast. Seen it." - Joel as Itchy
"yeah, I just marked our territory." - Joel as goofy worker
"Would somebody please milk grandpa? He's in a lot of pain!" - Joel
"Help me, I'm allergic to Styrofoam rocks!" – Joel as Itchy
"There's the green door again!" – "Marylyn Chambers? Oh, uh, I’m not supposed to know that" – Bossman/Crow
"I'm a hiker from town" – "And a Canadian" – Reporter/Joel (teasing the dubbed accents)


Riff Explained
If you've never seen West Side Story, you might wonder why Servo keeps saying "Crazy Boy" whenever the reporter says, "Boy, Boy". That's a line from the song Cool, which can be heard in the film and soundtrack

Stuff & Nonsense
* Gamera: Political firebrand? Interestingly, the subplot with the greedy farmers parallels true events that were occurring in Japan during the building of the Narita (New Tokyo) Airport. The airport was built on farmland and was met with violent protest (many have resulted in a few deaths) which continues on to this day. And I thought I was just watching a mindless giant turtle movie.

* Gaos could have caused more damage if Daiei studios only had the money. The cost of the laser beam insert shots was nearly $1,000 a pop, so the filmmakers had to pick and choose when to let Gaos fly with his laser. Probably saved Gams a world of hurt. lol



Available on DVD: Volume 21