Saturday, August 9, 2014

Blog Updates

April 19, 2024
Bridget and Mary Jo are on the case for Sherlock Holmes and the House of Fear

April 9, 2024
The Mads return with; A Night of Shorts 15

July 29, 2023
Continuing with my MJP-Show mini-thon, today it was Trader Joe's

April 2023
Join Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, Beez and Josh for a Darkstar Watch Party!

March 3, 2023

October 15, 2022
Janet and Cole make their Rifftrax return with Ladyhawke

July 21, 2022
I've added "Dangerous Men" and "A Dangerous Man" to my "Best of Rifftrax" page

October 3, 2021 
Updated MST on DVD page

July 1, 2021
At the forum I'm taking a look at the in-movie music (songs, not soundtracks) of MST, check it out... MJ's Riff Reviews and Lists | MST3K: The Discussion Board

May 30, 2021
Put together a page of current Rifftrax Favorites and an article about the actors in Jack Frost - I also added write-ups for Dreamscape on Cole & Janet's page and Warning From Space and The Veil to Matthew & Ian's page.

May 17, 2021
Added Astral Factor to the Cinematic Titanic page

May 1, 2021 
I'm in the process of changing the grade scale - I was going to eliminate them altogether but decided I might have fun with it, by letting Glenn Manning be the grade based on expressions (and then allow him to comment - or make comments about him). So it's 3-tiered...



Happy Glenn: For above-average to exceptional episodes. This dominates of course






Concerned Glenn: For average / mid-range / or goodish episodes.

And my favorite expression...





Angry Glenn! For below-average eps, or to represent some degree of disappointment or upset about something (movie, riffing, unevenness of episode)




It's silliness, but silliness suits the spirit of the show. Plus, Glenn's one of my favorites and is seen in the banner, so he was a natural fit (and my namesake didn't have or inspire the same whimsey). This way, I can have a grade, without really being that strict with it, or tied to it (my list of Top 100 will still show the old awards system). And yes, I colorized him, Ted Turner style (the images popped better than in B&W, and it's a cheesy thing to do).

I also want to give this place more a relaxed film diary feel. I didn't start this site wearing a critics cap, no, I wrote as a fan. It's always surprised me when folks would say that they came here for episode recommendations because that was so far removed from my original intentions. I mean, that's nice, and thank you, but I'm just a geeky MSTie, jotting down thoughts and impressions.

 
May 24th, 2018 
Long time no updates. I've been off on other adventures and haven't had the time or energy to give the site the attention it requires. However, with  K01 and K02 seeing the light of day, I wanted to get those pages spruced up.

I haven't any concrete plans for season 11. To be honest, I found it rather hit or miss. Perhaps I'll post a quick overview one of these days?

Lastly: I was looking at the blog's stats and was surprised to see that there are MSTies who still visit the site. I started this thing using the free pages Web TV offered (remember Web TV?) - only because I wanted to gush over this great show I'd discovered. It was just for me, and I never imagined way back then that it would grow and find readers (or that I'd have to move so many times: from Web TV to Geocities to Yahoo and finally Google Blogs). I have to admit, it warms the heart to see MJs still has a pulse and hasn't been forgotten... even though I've not done an update in years.

So, thank you.

Salutations! (this was posted way back when)
This is now the new home of Mighty Jack's... more a storeroom than anything else at this point (the comments section is closed, that might change eventually). Not everything made the move - several articles, Rifftrax shorts. But I saved the main feature-length reviews.

Updates will be posted on this page, links are found at the right.


Trivia bibliography
Often, that small paragraph of info was culled from several sources. I crosschecked and confirmed, mixed and matched, using anything I could find. From the traditional (Filmfax) to those that are not as obvious (an old boxing magazine). Much of the Gamera info came from a live question and answer session with Director "Noriaki Yuasu" at a Chicago Con. The "Mighty Jack" info required the translation of Japanese text.

Press releases, obituaries, interviews, articles, books and web and library searches were all part of the mix. Special thanks must go out to these invaluable sources:

"Willis O'Brien Special Effects Genius" by Steve Archer * "Science Fiction Confidential" by Tom Weaver * "How I Made 100 Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime" by Roger Corman & Jim Jerome * "The Official John Wayne Reference Book" by Charles John Kieskalt * "Screen Sirens Scream!" by Paul Parla & Charles P. Mitchell * "John Carradine: The Films" by Tom Weaver * "...And Jerry Mathers as "The Beaver" by Jerry Mathers * "Science Fiction Stars and Horror Heroes" by Tom Weaver * The All Movie Guide * IMDB (for filmographies) *  Broadcast dates were found at Tom's Temple of MST3K Stuff

With a little help from my friends...
Over the years kind-hearted MSTies have helped make this site a better place, by helping me find typos or other mistakes, they’ve contributed pictures or added to trivia sidebars. I wanted to take some time and thank these fine folks for all their help through the years. Here’s a list of a few names I was able to locate (to those who sent help via old –and now missing- PMs, or anyone I might have left off, my apologies)

ChibodeeCrocket, Sol-Survivor, Bix Dugan, Red-Tom, Splintchesthair, spackle, Mirkwoodlodge, KennethMorgan, Rigel7, MST3KROM, JJB3K, Veepa, Miss Interoceter, gizmonicinstitute2, Hugo, Captain Hygiene, Father Mannix, Forrest, Vlad89, Big Quiet, Big Stoopid, Cerrita, Yousonuva, Skiptastic, ator, davidbeegah, Ford Prefect, Donnalady, Afgncaap5, Uruseiranma, Skyroniter. Wolf99x, ash2, fireballil, Merlin, Diamond Joe, Compound, siamesesin, Torgo, Tina Tompkins and Don MacGregor.