Saturday, May 15, 2021

MST3K LIVE: No Retreat, No Surrender


This has been billed as Joel's final tour, so even though the rest of the cast were new names to me, I had to go. It's the only MST live show I've been to and therefore is the only one I can gab about. It was also the last show I saw before the lockdown, that was it, no more nights out for a year. The featured movie was No Retreat, No Surrender, and it was prime riff material. Being a Bruce Lee fanatic, those parts of the picture were a kick, and the quips accompanying them made it all the funnier.

Now, unlike the Netflix series (where some fans have complained about it being too slick) the production values were scaled back (and some fans are complaining that it's not slick enough... irony?) Speaking for myself, I didn't come for a big production, sets, etc, but for big laughs - and it delivered. Frankly, I liked that it was a smaller production, as it brought back memories of that old school, lo-fi, cow town show that it used to be.

The Bots (Conor McGiffin as Servo, Nate Begle as Crow) were in fine voice, Emily Marsh as Crenshaw (and all-around puppeteer) brought a lot of spirited fun to the stage, unfortunately, while Yvonne Freese seems very personable and cool in those videos they post from time to time, Synthia was pretty grating (I'd like to see her bring it down a notch for season 13). Despite that, most of the skits were cute. I had some good laughs with Crow's safety song bit, and how they acknowledged the puppeteers at times ("I'm doing it, and without anybody's help!" celebrates Crow during one host segment, while he's receiving obvious help. Big laughs from the audience with that).

The venue was large, but not massive, they didn't offer tickets to the balcony, but the main floor was mostly full. The audience was really into the show, so there was a good energy all around. I stayed in my seat during intermission and watched a couple of the cast play around with cleaning up the stage while interacting with the crowd that was still there.

My only real complaint is why were none of these live shows (past and present) recorded so we could relive them again and again?



For information on recent tours, I'm including links to the MST3K Fandom Wiki

2017 - Watch Out for Snakes! Tour with Eegah and Argoman: The Fantastic Superman
2018 - 30th Anniversary Tour with The Brain and Deathstalker II
2019-20 - The Great Cheesy Movie Circus Tour with No Retreat, No Surrender and Circus of Horrors
2021-22 - Time Bubble Tour with Making Contact